Sunday, February 7, 2010

Utah Young Mother of the Year 2010


I'm so excited! I was selected as Utah's Young Mother of the Year for 2010! (My children have been scoffing . . . "YOUNG Mother? Aren't you turning 40 this year?") It really means mother of young children. (To be eligible, all of my children must be under age 18.) So, now the adventure begins. The state convention/luncheon is March 6 (which happens to be my birthday!) and then the national convention is in New York City. (At the Waldorf-Astoria . . .whoo hoo!)

I was nominated by my local chapter of American Mothers (see the chapter blog at www.americanmothers.wordpress.org or the national website at www.americanmothers.org) and then had to write up a portfolio, including ten (hard! Well--hard to answer in just one page) questions and an essay. Then yesterday, I had to present a 3 minute speech and have an interview with a panel of three judges, and put up a small display. (I only remember one of the judge's names--Michalene Grassli--the former General Primary President and also former Utah Mother of the Year) They called me last night about 6:00 p.m. to let me know that I had been selected.

There were two other mothers that were nominated for Young Mother, and four for Mother of the Year. I liked getting to know them, hearing their speeches, seeing their displays, and looking at their portfolios. It makes me look forward to the other amazing mothers I'll be able to learn from in the coming year!

The picture is of my display. I included a picture book treasury, a family journal, lots of pictures (including general family pictures, reading together, service projects and book club parties), a copy of my Ensign article, a family picture, a balloon bouquet (I'm really enjoying that Christmas present!), a jump rope, the book "All We Need is You and Me" that I gave Brent for Valentines Day, and Sallie's violin. I had little cards explaining why I choose the item for the display.


1 comment:

Kristin said...

I am very excited for you, and envious of your upcoming trip to NYC to go to the convention at the Waldorf Astoria! That will be awesome! Best of luck to you there. I wouldn't be surprised if you are chosen as the next National Young Mother of the Year for 2010. I really admire you as a person and as a mother.